ARTISTIC STRATEGY FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARSLooking ahead after a record-breaking 40th Season
Your Donation will Make a Difference at Every Level
See how your donation is an investment in our future
Objective 1Fostering a Safe Harbor for Playwrights
Achieving national recognition for an award-winning, high standard of performance, Gloucester Stage has established a culture of supporting regional and world premieres since its inception. Initially that impact was founded on one playwright, but has expanded to include exciting new authors who have unique perspectives to share.
This has expounded our creative resources and allows us to amplify new, laudable voices, telling significant stories that demonstrate cultural competency.
Building on our organizational strengths and responding to the needs of writers, we identified four goals to aid in development:
- Residency support for early-stage play development
- Workshop & festival exposure in conjunction with a collegiate instruction process
- Staged reading performances with audience and expert feedback
- Fully realized productions with mobilization for future regional/commercial presentations
Objective 2Creating a Positive & Inspiring Work Environment
Gloucester Stage is a producing arts organization, that means every performance is created here on Cape Ann, by professional artists – it wasn’t painted or perfected somewhere else. The quality of our productions is directly related to the experience and dedication of our actors, directors, and designers. Going beyond our commitment to union support (AEA, SDC, & USA), we identified four areas for investment:
Increasing workplace safety standards, creating a culture of support and communication, and continuing to listen, share, and improve our efforts.
Prioritizing budgeting & space improvements to support artists with the time and preparation space needed to be successful onstage.
Continue to be recognized for professionalism throughout the process, provide performance opportunities of top-tier career interest, and cultivate talent.
Attain a working relationship with company members that instills pride, camaraderie, and award winning achievement for all involved.
Objective 3Building Relationships on a Generational Scale
Understand individuals in our audience and their interest in the unique stories told on stage.
Utilize integrated marketing communications to make first time ticket buyers out of strangers. Invite those new acquaintances to become our friends through a return visit, and eventually a subscriber.
Continue to recruit young audiences through schools and youth theater education. Partner with supporters to offset those reduced costs to students.
Improve entry & facilities to welcome patrons of all abilities, especially those with mobility challenges.
Increase audience experience through aisle expansion, parking improvements, and sensory support.
Continue to foster and grow partnerships that provide engagement opportunities before, during, and after performances. Recognizing our audience’s interest in the full story – work to provide real world application and reference points.
Objective 4Unlocking the Value of our Capital Assets
- Safe ADA compliant bathrooms
- Windows & Walls restored and appropriately maintained
- Long-term capital plan outlined for things like the roof, HVAC, lighting
- Planning and improvements that support other strategic planning initiatives (green rooms, offices, etc.)
- Gain expert, user, and donor input in all major improvement campaigns
- Improved drainage system
- Ground Floor Organized for Growth
- Gathering space along the water
- Improving parking experience
- Connecting waterfront to facade
- Increase collaboration with Arts Partners on Rocky Neck
- Increase impact in community and reaching new markets
- Granting organizations are looking for projects like this with experienced partners
Objective 5Operating Efficiency and Planned Premiere Risk
- Operating Annually ‘above the black’ with increased working capital
- Improved cash flow forecasting and budget planning using data analysis and market benchmarking
- Investment in the mission impact of the Company focused on objectives 1 through 4 of the strategic plan