OpportunitiesCareers | Seasonal Jobs | Apprenticeships
to volunteers, artists, and staff
Gloucester Stage Company is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status. Gloucester Stage Company remains committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all of our volunteers, artists, and staff. We prohibit sexual harassment in all forms, providing clear procedures for reporting complaints about conduct, and following through with appropriate and timely disciplinary measures.
Learn more about how our company is taking action to build a more anti-racist culture.
Gloucester Stage Company aims to provide a safe environment for all of our volunteers, artists, and staff. We are proud adopters of the The Chicago Theatre Standards, and part of the #notinourhouse movement. Read more about how we’re adapting these Standards at Gloucester Stage.
Available Career Opportunities
Gloucester Stage Company is seeking a part-time production team member passionate about interacting with artists and coordinating lighting / sound support on a wide variety of projects. Reporting to the Production Manager, this behind the scenes technician provides guest performers with a welcoming and supportive experience performing on our stage. We are a learning and mentorship oriented organization, so applicants who have a varied level of experience are encouraged to apply.
This role has specific onsite timing requirements around event management, but flexible hybrid office/meeting hours. The candidate would need to be regularly available during the following days/times 2-3 times a week.
Some Weekdays/Fridays: 6p – 10p
Saturdays: 1p – 10p (with dinner break)
Sundays: 1p – 4p
$20-25/hr for around 20 hours a week (W-2 employee), 2 weeks paid vacation, and paid sick days.
Daily/Weekly job duties will vary depending on what production is happening in the venue
- Meeting with presenters to discuss lighting, sound, and stage needs in advance of performances onsite. Would include reading technical riders and assisting in lighting, sound, and stage needs.
- Providing audio visual support for productions using house systems (i.e. setting up wireless microphones, running cable, loading cues into QLab, setting speaker levels, connecting visuals to projector) or coordinating with Sound Designer and Sound Engineer for larger musical performances.
- Providing lighting support for productions using house rep-plot (slider up/down on general washes) or coordinating with Lighting Designer and Lead Electrician for larger production needs.
- Running QLab and ETC Lighting boards (e.g. Press GO) during guest performances.
- Assisting staff with scenic, props, audio, and lighting projects
- Purchasing various production materials/supplies online and at local stores
- Facilitating crew meal orders with local restaurants during tech week and during performances
- Coordinating laundry pickups when needed
- Maintaining receipt and reimbursement procedures
Communication & Organization:
- Coordinating schedules for production meetings, tech rehearsals, and performances in coordination with artists and production team.
- Collecting notes during production meetings and disseminating communication between artists and appropriate staff outside of production meetings.
- Creative problem solving designs to work effectively with theatre equipment, within theatre space, and within established budgetary limits.
- Coordinating rehearsal spaces for productions in the Greater Boston area and communicating that information to Company and Stage Managers.
- Cultivates relationships with peer art organizations and local business for sharing/bartering of resources.
Safety & Efficiency:
- Maintains professionalism, a safe work environment, and actively works to create a culture of diversity, inclusion and belonging on site.
- Routinely clean and organize the stage and storage areas
- Monitors maintenance of scene shop facilities and equipment.
- Participates in fire, building, and wiring safety measures for annual compliance.
- Proposes major capital and technology improvement needs to Management and supplies project quotes when necessary, to support a safe and efficient workplace
- Must be able to problem solve and collaborate with tact and diplomacy.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must be available during the above posted schedule.
- Must be computer literate – Experience with QLab, ETC Lighting, Vectorworks, Google Suite a bonus.
- Must be able to lift up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to use ladders (15ft).
- Bachelor of Arts in Theater or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience with production support, stage management, or theatrical design a bonus.
How To Apply:
Please submit your resume and a personal cover letter (or a personal introduction in the email) to email@example.com
Apply by: Applicants will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Gloucester Stage Company does not accept unsolicited resumes. Resumes are only accepted for specific job openings.
There are currently no other employment opportunities available. Please check back in the future.
The Post-Graduate Apprenticeship program engages in hands-on development and training during one season with Gloucester Stage. Each position has a specialty that connects to the student’s career path, such as directing, stage management (EMC Point Eligible), marketing and development, et al.
The program offers young theater professionals creative ownership, valuable education, important networking opportunities, and real-world experience. After a season with Gloucester Stage, apprentices have the depth of knowledge to seek full-time employment with professional theater companies, form their own companies, or pursue advanced degrees.
For further information and to apply visit our Apprenticeship Page.